Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cake walk??? Uh, NO!

Since we have started telling people of our referral for "S" we have gotten very mixed responses. It is funny how everyone was so happy and excited when we got the referral for Micah. not sure the difference, maybe because he was a baby?!?!? Many people are saying we are CRAZY for wanting to adopt a child "that old", we will have nothing but problems, and those who think that it will be great to have a "little helper". We are not choosing to adopt "S" because we think it is going to be easy to bring home an older child or because we think she is going to be a helper with Micah. We do know that we will possibly have many challenges with her and are trying to prepare for how we will handle the language barrier, the grief she may have regarding the death of her mother and the loss of her home land, the attachment issues we may have, schooling, Micah's adjustment to a big sister, the list goes on and on. Those who have adopted in the past know all to well that you can never be 100% prepared for the challenges you may have because no child goes "by the book". We have taken class after class (mostly because they were required!) about all the things that can go wrong and how to handle the situations as they arise. We were extremely blessed that Micah adapted so well and other than a few minor issues, we had what would appear to be the PERFECT match...
When we were in Ethiopia to get Micah we spent a lot of time in the baby room at the orphanage he was in. It is soooo easy to fall in love with each and every one of those little cuties, but we both said that we know that they will all have families, after all there is a waiting list up to 2 years long for the infants. The kids we were drawn to were the older children, the ones that we were all taking Cute pictures of...and then leaving there in the courtyard. I knew then already that we would bring home an older child someday. I did not know who or when or what age, but I knew that God was placing this mission in my heart and I would follow.
What we are confident about is that God has chosen this journey for us and He will get us through. We also know that now more than ever we (Myself, Scott, Micah, and "S") NEED the love and support of our family and friends....I pray that we have that!!!
Next time new pictures of Micah ( I promise!! Today I just needed to vent). Melissa

11 comments:

John and Gail said...

Melissa.......God gives us the desires of our hearts. I am so happy for you and your family for adopting this precious little girl. I wish I lived closer and could help/support you more. But that is okay because I can pray for you. Prayer is so much more important. And yes, if God gave you that desire and you know that is God's will, it will be an awesome journey.
And for you/hubby.... the wisdom to handle little ups & down, I will be praying.

GOD says:
....."I will instruct you and teach you in the ways you should go; I will guide you with my eye." Psalms 32:8

Blessings....((((hugs)))).......Gail

Anonymous said...

Well said.
Scott

JourneyToNumberThree said...

God certainly puts desires n our hearts for a reason. I admire you guys for following your desire in the mist of so many uncertainty. We will be there to support you guys so you can count on us ( :

meg said...

i'll gladdly encourage you from afar!
i can't wait until "s" is HOME!

Karen & Brad Hernke said...

Melissa,
Follow your heart and God will help you get through all of this. So many people out there do not understand alot...they assume w/ out getting any info on things before they speak. Ever since we have been talking about changing over from Russia to Ethiopia we have had a few comments too. We all come from the same person is all I can say. What others think is too bad. You and I have so much love to give these childern and that's all that is important. It's all about you and your family. Hang in there Melissa and I will pray for you!! This is meant to be or God would have never lead you in this direction.

Love, Karen

Unknown said...

Everyone has stated it so wonderful, if this is what you feel you both need to do then go for it. It will be diffucult but you have shown us what you both can do with Micah. It will be a challenge but you both seem up to it. Love mom and dad

Joshua Grover-David Patterson said...

You know we are here for you! :)
With hugs and prayers and listening ears(and book recommendations and luggage and adapters :) )
Kara, Josh and Mihret

mydogteaser said...

I admit that when I first heard the idea, I thought you guys were a little crazy. But now that I have thought on it, I think it's wonderful. I don't know of two better people to be parents to that beautiful little girl. There will be lots of challenges, but parenting is hard no matter if the child grows under your heart or in it. God knows this is the right path for your family, so follow it and ignore the criticisms.

Anonymous said...

You are already a fantastic Mom to "S", and I admire all of the love you already have for your wonderful girl. Micah and "S" are truly blessed to have you both as parents!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't really matter what everyone else thinks or says. People say things. I think it is amazing that you are opening your hearts and home to an older child and a girl no less. Countless times orphaned girls are not thought of highly and treated in ways you and I can't even imagine. Thank you for loving this one and for rescuing her! From one adopted woman (you know me - i went to prom with you) to an awesome adoptive mom and dad!

Write to Simplicity said...

I just happened to stumble across your blog and was touched by your story. Yes, you may face difficulties but that is what happens in families and it is in the end what draws you closer. I wish you the best in blessings and support.