Thursday, April 30, 2009

Questions and Answers

Since bringing Micah home, we are often asked questions about his adoption. Usually it is the common: Where is he from? Does he speak English? Did you get him as a baby(hello he is still a baby!)? Some of the questions I have been least prepared for are the ones that come from young children. Here are a few examples of questions I have been asked recently:
Scenario: Oshkosh B'Gosh Store
6yr girl -"How come he is brown and you are white?"
me: "Well he was born in Africa and we adopted him. Do you know what that means?"
girl: "Does that mean that he lived there and you lived here?"
me: "Yes he did live there and then he came home here to live with us."
girl: "Does he have a mommy in Africa?"
me: "Yes he does and she loves him very much and is trusting us to raise him."
girl: "That is neat. I like his hair." (goes on to play with Micah and some legos)

2nd Scenario: We are taking our 2nd neighborhood walk of the day when we run into to girls about 8 years old
1st girl: "Do you babysit him?"
me: "No, I am his mommy. We adopted him, you see he was born in Africa."
1st girl: "I was adopted too!"
me: "That is very special."
2nd girl: "Yeah..where were you born again."
1st girl: "Not far away like Africa, but I was born in Beliot, WI..do you know where that is?"
me: "I do know where that is. That is really neat."
1st girl: " What is his name?"
me:" Micah"
2nd girl: "Was that always his name?"
me: "no, his Ethiopian name is Muse."
1st girl: " My dad is from Africa."
me: "Really?"
1st girl: "Yeah and I have a little brother who looks like this little guy(pointing to Micah). He is adopted too, but from a different family than me!"

This conversation went on for a long time, but you get the point. They were so excited to play with Micah and he was LOVING all the special attention they were giving him. They wanted him to adopt one of their baby bunnies...said that he could have one for free because he was adopted and would be adopting the bunny...talk about pulling at my heartstrings. Too bad the Mister would not give the ok for that or we would for sure have a bunny :) Melissa

3 comments:

Karen said...

Very cute stories....make my heart melt!! He is a doll!!

Kelly Biese Aunt, karen

awojtowski said...

Those are great. Just wait until he is about 3 and starts asking those same questions.

Unknown said...

Just happened upon your beautiful blog and lovely story, I shall keep looking. One of my daughters just turned 40, is talking of adopting, and I shall direct her in your direction. Take care, Bob