Tuesday, February 2, 2010

First week as Five

If I had to sum up our first week as a family of five the word would be CHALLENGING! Don't get me wrong, there were some good times too but a lot of the week was spent crying, questioning, and praying. Thankfully we have had the support of a lot of our family and friends, even people at church that we did not know prior to this journey. Jean Delson (we will be calling him Delson as that is what he likes) came home with a few health problems such as a sinus infection and Giardia (which is a parasite). He is on meds now and they seem to be helping. He also has a lot of behavior issues that we are trying to work on. He is literally jumping off the walls all day, pushing over the furniture, running into the doors, throwing everything from toys to chairs and also has decided that he does not want to sleep. We have tried sitting with him by his bed, holding him, singing with him....last night finally after he screamed for 30 minutes with everything we tried we had to rock him and then was able to sneak him in his bed only for him to wake 4 hours later..... Needless to say it has been a struggle.
Sitota continues to do wonderful. She is doing great in school and just seems to do so well to the change. She trys to be very helpful with the boys, although I make sure to let her know that I can/will do the things for them so she does not feel like she has to "mother" them. I want her to have her childhood. She is doing great at learning to read and is speaking a LOT of English now. There are very few things she will not eat, which is nice and she now enjoys taking hot lunch with the other girls. It is fun to hear her talk about her friends :)

Micah is going to be 2 at the end of the month and it shows! He is in to everything! We have resorted to putting locks on the fridge and stove to keep him from going in them constantly. He is testing his boundaries, which is normal. He remains very active and talkative...boy does he talk a lot.

Scott and I are trying to remain strong and support each other. He was recently ill, which proved to be difficult for both of us but lucky it only lasted 2 days. I have a cold and am very tired, but I know that this will pass and things will work out. We are going through a very challenging time, but with the grace of God and the help of family and friends we will make it through and grow stronger! Better run the popcorn is almost gone and I will need to start running around again...I really enjoyed this 10 minutes of rest :)Melissa

5 comments:

Kimberley said...

Praying for your family. I remember those days with Wubitu; tantrums, destruction, attitude, lack of sleep. It was the most difficult time in my life, and made me question who I was as a person and my true capacity to love. It was a stretching and growing time that was not comfortable at all. What a blessing that Sitota's transition has been so smooth! God knew you would need extra patience for Delson! Seriously praying for your family!

my life, my loves! said...

We are praying for you guys! Your family has been in our thoughts constantly. I can't even imagine how much change, etc is going on in your home at the moment. But I am sure it will all come together. Praying!! Your family photo is beautiful!

George said...

I cannot even imagine. Praying you all have strength during this BIG adjustment time...it will hopefully get easier each and every day that goes by with all three of your angels safe in your arms and home!

Unknown said...

I Melissa trying this for G

Traci Weldie said...

Melissa - I will be praying for you! I had many, many hard days with my son when we brought him home from ET. I spent countless hours crying, questioning, whining and asking God, "Why?". If you ever need someone to talk to about those hard days, I am hear to lend an ear and maybe give you some encouragement. We are doing so much better today (10 months later)! Hang in there.